Saturday, September 10, 2011

Beneath the surface

Sometimes I feel like I am a teenager and this post might explain why.

I recently finished a book titled "Uglies" by Scott Westerfeld. It is YA Fiction, a fun and quick read, but I felt it had a good underlying message. The book is about a city where everyone is told that when they turn 16 they will have an operation that will make them pretty. Up until that time they are considered ugly because they do not have perfect body shapes, perfect faces, hair, etc.

So, when the kids turn 16 they prepare to have this operation, pick out what they want themselves to look like (out of the options that they have) and then get the operation. Once they get their operation the live in New Pretty Town. All they do is go to parties, drink, and basically only care about superficial things. The book tells a story of a few Uglies who don't want to get the operation and run away. I finished this book in 3 days (by reading on Trax and on breaks at work) so it didn't take long. But I honestly can't wait to read the next book "Pretties".

It is just interesting to me that an author would write this book for teenagers. Hopefully they see the message that he is trying to send. I think it is very representative of the world and how it is so focused on outer beauty and not so much what is in the inside. Which also made me think of this song. This song is totally Jr. High and Disneyish, but it has a good message.



No comments:

Post a Comment