Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Cooking Class




Last night I went to a cooking class and the Viking Cooking School. It is a Culinary school just off of 2100 S and 300 E in Salt Lake. My friend Azure told me about the class and we both decided to go because it cost $20 instead of the regular $80. :)





As you can see, this school is beautiful and their kitchens are amazing. I became super excited as soon as I walked in the doors.





There were about 20 people that signed up for the class and we were given 5 recipes to prepare. I wasn't sure what to expect from the class but I started having memories of my Culinary class in college come back to mind. I initially thought we would each have to make all 5 recipes and then the teacher would come and grade what we made.

That was not the case. This was much more low key. We split in to groups of 3-4 and each group worked on one recipe. Our group made the Roasted Corn with Manchego and Lime. You can see the picture of it below. It was pretty easy to make because the teacher roasted the corn for us before we got there.



I remembered how much I like to cook during this class. Especially when you have all the ingredients that you need, a fantastic recipe, and an amazing kitchen. All of these things make the cooking experience much more enjoyable. I had a moment last night where I had wished that I hadn't sold my Culinary text book back. I was wanting to remember all of the terminology and also to have the recipes that were in that book.

The best part of the class was that we got to taste everything that was made. The picture probably does not do the meal justice. It was amazingly good. Not kidding. It is so good that I think we are going to make all of these things for Sunday dinner :)


The meal consisted of Zucchini & Summer Squash Gratin with Caramelized Onions, Pasta with Pesto Sauce and a Basic Basil Pesto (which we used walnuts instead of pine nuts), Roasted Corn with Manchego and Lime, and s Skillet Pancake with Peaches. (This is no regular pancake!)

The class had a fall produce theme to help people use what they grew in their garden over the summer. :)

Seriously, love the food and the class.



Thanks to Azure for finding out about this class and inviting me! :)

1 comment:

  1. I really wish I could have gone with you. Looks like a fabulous time.

    ReplyDelete